Wednesday, March 13, 2013



More than thirty years ago, I taught junior high during the day and threw pottery from the time I got home at about four in the afternoon until late at night. Since I have an addictive personality, I spent every moment of every summer immersed in throwing, glazing and firing my pottery. I loved every second of pottery making.

However, I wasn't walking with the Lord at the time, so I didn't realize until years later all the ways clay and the potter symbolize God and his Creation. But as I read my Bible daily and God gave me many Ah-ha! moments, a book emerged. The publisher that I signed a contract with didn't like the title Living Clay and could never come up with an alternative. Though my editor fought valiantly, the book was never published. I never submitted it to another publisher.

In these blogs I will share some of the insights God gave me. Most came from actual hands-on work with clay. Other information and insights came from books. I found the chemical composition chart below from Rhodes, Clay and Glazes for the Potter: Chilton Book Company, 1957, pg 5.
"As one might expect, the usual chemical composition of clay is quite similar to the average composition of the surface of the earth as a whole. Compare, for example, an analysis of a common, red clay with the approximate percentages of oxides on the surface of the earth as a whole:"

                                                                                     Earth as                    Common red
                                                                                     a whole                          clay                          
SiO2                                                                  59.14                           57.02
Al2O3                                                  15.34                           19.15
Fe2O3                                                                 6.88                             6.70
MgO                                                      3.49                             3.08
CaO                                                       5.08                             4.26
Na2O                                                     3.84                             2.38
K2O                                                       3.13                            2.03
H2O                                                       1.15                             3.45
TiO2                                                                   1.05                              .91

No comments: