Friday, March 15, 2013

Prayer in the Dark Times

Did you ever go through one of those times when life felt as though everything
around you was crumbling? Be honest. I know you have! Jesus said, “In this life you will have troubles . . .”

Well, right now I’m going through a troubled time. Some of the things I am praying about are spiritual / emotional others job-related and financial, others concern relationships. All concern people I love. All are all too confidential to share. Isn’t that the way it always is with the really heavy stuff? You share; you betray.

So I find myself “worrying to the Lord” while tricking myself into believing I’m praying. “Lord, please heal him . . . Lord please heal him . . . Lord please heal him.”

The good news is: Today I’ve been resting in the Lord by asking once, trusting him for the answer and then rejoicing, thanking and praising him for his answer.

How does the Bible tell us to pray?

  • Keep on praying. “You who put the Lord in remembrance, give the Lord no rest . . .” (Isaiah 62:6b). That’s me. For sure.

  • The fervent prayers of the righteous are very effective (Jas. 5:16, 17). When I’m hurt or scared or worried my prayers are definitely FERVENT. So I’m doing good, right?

  • In Luke 11:5-10 Jesus tells about a man who harasses his friend in the middle of the night until he gets what he wants. The fellow gets what he asks for because he won’t go away. Won’t leave his friend alone. The point is persistence. We should be persistent in prayer if we want answers. Believe me, I’m persistent.

So why does the way I pray sometimes feel a little off?

  • In Matt. 6:7 Jesus cautions us not to “heap up empty phrases” when we pray. I’m not certain my repetitive asking qualifies as empty, but I suppose it’s possible.

  • And doesn’t having to beg God over and over run contrary to God’s character? He’s better than I am. He gives his children better gifts than I give my children (Luke 11:11-13). He will answer any prayer that is in accordance with his will. 

Doesn’t thanking him rather than desperately begging fit Isaiah 62, “give the Lord no rest?” Don’t you think my fervent gratitude fulfills James 5? Since he’s listening as I thank him I’m being persistent.

That doesn’t mean I can’t ask more than once; I’m sure I will ask many times. But I will allow my prayers to focus more on trusting God than fearing a dark future. Those kind of prayers calm me.

No comments: